Sunday, November 22, 2009

Coconut Curry

You can do this recipe with just vegetables, or you could use tofu or shrimp. I like the shrimp version, so that's the way I'm writing it. The most important part is the sauce. You can play with the vegetables and/or the meat. This is one of those special dishes that we use for date night or a birthday or a celebration.

1 bunch of green onions, cut into 2-in pieces
1 can coconut milk
3 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp curry powder
1 tsp minced, fresh ginger OR 1/2 tsp dry
1-2 tsp dry basil leaves
pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 to 1 pound of shrimp
1 zucchini, chopped
1 summer squash, chopped
3 or 4 mushrooms, sliced
1 bell pepper, thinly sliced

In large skillet over medium heat, combine coconut milk, soy sauce, brown sugar, curry powder, basil, and ginger. Bring to a boil. Stir in vegetables. Cover and cook 8 minutes. Add shrimp. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the shrimp are just cooked. Serve over white or jasmine rice.

(Note: If you like your food more savory, only add 1 Tbsp brown sugar. I add two, because that's how John likes his, so I just salt mine some. Also, you don't have to add all of those vegetables. The ones I usually add for sure are the bell pepper and a summer squash or zucchini. I've used broccoli and snow peas before too. I like to use vegetables that cook fast or that are good crunchy in this recipe. I think shrimp is the only meat I've tried in this recipe, but I'm sure chicken would be good too. You'd obviously want to have that fully cooked before you added the vegetables though.)

No comments:

Post a Comment